Luton Town 1-1 Stoke City: Stoke Survive Scare

Stoke City survived a scare from League 2 Luton Town after coming through the Capital One Cup tie on penalties.

The match finished 1-1 after goals from Jon Walters before Cameron McGeehan levelled for the hosts.

Embed from Getty Images

Mark Hughes made nine changes to his side prior to kick-off, which including the returning Bojan while Shay Given made his competitive debut in goal. Erik Pieters and Marko Arnautovic were the pair that survived Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Norwich.

Luton made six changes themselves following their 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

Stoke controlled in terms of possession but rarely threatened the hosts goal.

Walters came the closest in the first half with a shot from the edge of the box, which was well saved by Elliot Justham in the Luton goal.

The second half was in similar vein but Stoke tried to lift the tempo.

The deadlock was finally broken when Walters lifted the ball over Justham following a neat through ball from Stephen Ireland to score his 51st goal for the club.

Embed from Getty Images

John Still made two substitutions and one of them was significant. McGeehan replaced Danny Green and it was he who forced Given into a smart save before the Irish goalkeeper responded by denying fellow sub Ryan Hall.

In the first minute of stoppage time McGeehan equalised, tapping in at the back post following a sumptuous cross from Scott Griffiths.

Embed from Getty Images

There was nothing to note in extra-time and the game went to penalties.

With the first 14 penalties all scored (7-7) up stepped Griffiths for the Hatters but his kick from 12-yards came back off the bar.

That left Geoff Cameron to win it for the Potters and the American duly obliged putting it into the top corner to set up a Third Round tie away to Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Talking to Sky Sports Stoke boss Mark Hughes said: “We switched off and they equalised. Credit to them for that.”

On the penalties he added: “You always worry when it goes to penalties as it’s a bit of a lottery.”

“We kept possession but never really got into good enough areas to get the ball into the box. You have to give credit to the opposition for that for making it difficult in the final third.”


Luton: Justham, O’Donnell, Cuthbert, Wilkinson, Griffiths, Lee, O’Brien, Smith, Green (McGeehan 60’), McQuoid (Benson 71’), Ruddock (Hall 60’).

Stoke: Given, Bardsley, Wilson, Wollscheid, Pieters, Sidwell, Ireland, Walters, Bojan (Cameron 87’), Arnautovic (Diouf 96’), Crouch (Joselu 63’).

Referee: Paul Tierney

Sky Sports Man of the Match: Jon Walters


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s