Stoke City 2-2 Leicester City: Foxes Fightback

Leicester City overcame a two goal half-time deficit to share the spoils at the Britannia Stadium and remain unbeaten.

Bojan came back into the Stoke team for his first Premier League appearance since January. Mark Hughes also started Marc Wilson in central defence instead of Marc Muniesa.

It was a fast tempo to start with both sides showing their creative and attacking flair.

Marko Arnautovic collected the ball inside his own half before turning Ritchie De Laet on the halfway line and shrugging off another Leicester challenge before playing an inch perfect through ball for Bojan to open the scoring.

Embed from Getty Images

The Potters doubled their lead 20 minutes later when Jonathan Walters capitalised on Wes Morgan’s under hit back pass to calmly slot past Kasper Schmeichel.

A good interchange on the right flank saw Geoff Cameron whip a menacing ball across the Leicester six-yard box but Walters and Van Ginkel both failed to make a telling connection.

The Foxes new signing N’Golo Kante was impressive throughout and he forced Jack Butland into a fabulous one-handed save just before the break.

Even at half-time both sets of fans must have had the thoughts of the Foxes late comeback last Sunday.

Six minutes into the second half Danny Drinkwater broke into the Stoke box and went down under the challenge of Marko Arnautovic.

Embed from Getty Images

The Leicester fans behind the goal appealed frantically but Andre Marriner was unmoved, only for the penalty to be awarded after assistant referee David Bryan flagging for the foul.

Riyad Mahrez scored his fifth goal of the season by emphatically sending Butland the wrong way.

The Foxes looked the more threatening and using the pace of Jamie Vardy, Mahrez and Jeff Schlupp.

Important interceptions from Glenn Whelan and Geoff Cameron stopped the Leicester momentum.

However a Stoke attack saw Walters pinch the ball of Morgan and was seemingly hauled back but the officials were unmoved.

A minute later Morgan’s long ball was flicked on by substitute Leonardo Ulloa into the path of Vardy, who levelled proceedings.

Vardy nearly won it late in the day when his curling shot went narrowly wide of the Stoke goal.

Mark Hughes told BBC Radio Stoke: “We have to manage key periods and be solid to see the game to your advantage.

“Days like this are a frustration. We need to see games like this to our benefit.

“We probably switched off. We clearly should have a free-kick in the opposition half. We make a mistake not dealing with a long ball for them to equalise.”

The Welshman added his delight at the returning Bojan but was baffled by a number of key decisions.


Stoke: Butland, Johnson, Wilson, Cameron, Pieters, Whelan, Van Ginkel (Ireland 79’), Shaqiri, Bojan (Odemwingie 82’), Arnautovic (Crouch 75‘), Walters.

Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Huth, Schlupp, Kante (King 86’), Drinkwater, Inler (Albrighton 45’), Mahrez, Okazaki (Ulloa 63’), Vardy.

Referee: Andre Marriner

Unofficial Man of the Match: Erik Pieters/Glenn Whelan


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s